3.27.2009

From Rags To Stitches

I have always wanted to learn how to sew, and taking a vow of poverty is a good way to get my ass in gear. Doubtless in a year I will need a few things. I have a toddler whose feet grow sizes in the night. In fact, his Ferrigno toes are probably bursting through his pajama feet at this very moment.

Fortunately, I've enrolled myself in a sewing class to start off on the right foot. My first project will be something small and easy, like a pillow cover. I like the idea of using vintage and reclaimed fabrics, like this scrap (above) rescued from a tattered 1970s bedspread. Just think, if I could get my hands on thick drape panels I could make play clothes for the entire family!

Hopefully I can progress to the point where I'm like Molly Ringwald in Pretty In Pink. Though, if I'm honest, I would have totally held onto the gorgeous vintage gown in favour of patching together a formless, shoulderless feed sack. But that's just me.

2 comments:

Leslie Calvin-Braaten said...

Hey Sarah! I think what you are doing is amazing.... i can honestly say that you would have to cut off my hands to not SHOP for a whole year! About the sewing.. if you need help let me know, sewing is one of my hobbies and i can tell you that you will LOVE IT! We need to catch up soon! Lots a Love the Braatens!

Mom'o2? said...

I love that you called it a Feed sack. Totally true. I'm glad to see there's SOMEBODY out there that liked the original dress too!