3.30.2009

Bulking Up



I've been doing a bit of legwork for the past couple of weeks and trying to source items in bulk. While yes, there are some things we are allowed to buy, we would still like to be mindful of the waste it creates.

Bulk is a great way not only to save $ but to cut back on excessive packaging. Most bulk stores carry the staples like seeds, nuts, flours, sugar, coffee, cereals, etc. At some grocery stores and independent delis, you can also buy olives, cheeses, meats, and pickles in bulk. They may be hesitant to use containers you supply but be assertive and don't take no for an answer!

In addition to the obvious, here are a few other things I learned along the way:

Ice cream

I can take a large yogurt container to my local ice cream place and ask them to fill it up. I don't see why other ice cream parlours wouldn't do the same. If Baskin Robbins sells by the litre, just bring in a litre container.

Tofu

Some Asian markets and bulk stores keep tofu in large buckets of water in a refrigerator. Bring your own container and get as much as you need!

Milk/Yogurt

Harmony Organic and Pinehedge Farms sell its dairy/yogurt in glass bottles that can be returned for a deposit.

Cleaning/Household

Luckily, I live in the biggest city in Canada where I can get my hands on bulk laundry detergent, vinegar, borax, shampoo, liquid soap, etc. Here's a snapshot taken at my local Grassroots store. Sure, it's a bus and a subway ride away but I will make each visit count, and refill big containers. No need to worry if you're not quite out of something either. They'll weigh your container and just charge you for the quantity you've added. Have a look!

My dream is to see this kind of set-up in every grocery store across the country.


2 comments:

Mom'o2? said...

Hey Sarah,

I'm not sure if you guys will be growing any vegetables this summer. I have some extra seeds that I can "donate" if you're interested. So far I have edamame, green beans, snow peas, cherry tomatoes and roma tomatoes. Lemme know if you'd like 'em.

Frugal Rock said...

Oooh, we could definitely try to grow something but I don't trust the soil in our backyard, you know, the trains going by and all. Would anything be suited for pots? And can you also donate your green thumb? Heh. Thank you so much for the offer! I'll do my best not to kill them!