5.07.2009

Green Things


My urban garden is in the works. Because we live so close to the train tracks, the quality of our soil is questionable to say the least. Instead, we will plant everything in pots. I prefer a utilitarian garden with herbs and vegetables. I've never been crazy about flowers, unless you can eat them. For this reason I think I'll only grow some French lavender and calendula. They're great for infusions, such as my lavender infused honey. Yum.

Here's the recipe:

1 cup honey
1 Tbsp dried lavender blossoms or 2 Tbsp fresh lavender

1.  Heat honey in a small pot over low heat until it turns to liquid. 
2.  Add lavender and continue to heat gently for 10 minutes. 
3.  Remove from heat and allow the honey to infuse for a few hours. 
4.  Reheat honey to a liquid and strain out the flower blossoms. Enjoy in salad dressings, teas, or homemade creams and lotions.

Now if I can only stop Tom's cats from coming up on the deck and peeing in my pots. Short of poisoning them, what can I do? Was thinking of picking up some citronella oil and making up a spray for the stairs. Or is that just a bug repellent? Thoughts?

WANTED:  Dutch clog(s) to use as planters.  Keep your eyes open at Garage Sales and the Good Will!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crushed chili peppers keep cats and dogs away. Sprinkle them on top of the soil, or let them soak in water and spray the leaves (you'll have to do this all the time, though)