5.22.2009

One Month Sum Up

One month down. To be completely honest, it hasn't felt like much of a challenge so far. And strangely enough, I'm kind of disappointed about that. I keep thinking to myself, is this too easy? Should we dream up other sadistic ways of depriving ourselves? But then I remember; like all long distance runners, we're in the zone right now. Right off the mark, we're sailing, we're optimistic, and we've barely broken a sweat. I imagine that in a few months we'll be looking to the sidelines for a cup of water, some Icy Hot, and a bag of frozen peas to soothe the burning holes in our pockets. Apparently it's as painful as a couple of torn hamstrings. OK, so that analogy can only go so far. But you do see my point. To borrow a line from the Carpenters, "We've only just begun".

That said, we have still endured some minor hardships this month, namely giving up paper towel and plastic wrap. Paper towel is just so handy for cleaning toddler messes off the floors and walls--like mashed up pieces of banana, sticky mango wedges, and chewed up pieces of eggplant. Who wants to handle that?

Saran wrap has also been greatly missed, and there are now a million old yogurt containers in the fridge harbouring everything from mystery leftovers to green peppers and onion halves. I have to brace myself every time I open one. Nothing like going for a little leftover lentil soup and finding a piece of moldy tempeh. As for cheese, it now lives in old bread bags and I'm not sure how effective this method is. Suggestions?

C has something else to refer to the Complaint Department but he intends to write an appeal of his own. I'll tip you off: the new Bob Dylan album just came out. What's a fanatic to do?

Update: Thanks to Trudy for loaning us a cheese keeper. These mice sure appreciate it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the new dylan album is great! i guess you'll have to wait 11 more months till you can get it! or you can do as i did, and download it illegally! eeeek! do you accept burnt copies by post?

Dan and Jess